Free Web Layouts
Real LYFE: Keep It Real & Treal

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Keep It Real & Treal

As you go throughout life make sure you keep it real and treal with yourself! As I talk with young people throughout this country, one of the criticisms that I hear time and time again is that older folks don't know how to be real! Many young people feel as if the older generation forgets what it was like "back in the day!" I'm not someone who considers myself old but even at my age sometimes it's easier for me to act like I ain't done nothin in my past as well, but to whose detriment is that? Mine or the young people I'm talking too? Sometimes young people need to have some guidance, and guidance isn't necessarily based on a "I told you so" basis. I've been more successful getting someone to see my point of view by keeping it real than I have been "preaching" to them about why they shouldn't do something!
Keep it real with yourself but don't just keep it real, but keep it TREAL as well. By Treal I mean be truthful with yourself about what's going on inside your mind! Real is about being factual about what has taken place. Yeah, you used to club and yeah, you used to have sex without a condom back in the day and whether or not you suffered because of it. Where as Treal is dealing with some of the issues you were faced with that caused you to do some of the things you did! Such as, "I didn't have any control at home because my parents were soooo spiritual, so it caused me to look for ways to be the one in 'control' when I was out in the streets doing my thing!" That's being treal because you're not only saying that YES I did the crime (if you even look at it like that) but I went deeper within my soul and found out that my illegitimacy was a leading factor in my whorish tendencies!
So remember as you're sharing with young people from all walks of life, if the television ain't sugar coatin' anything, and the radio ain't sugar coatin' anything, then why should you?
Now that's straight up talk!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you really went there with this one! I'm still trying to let the last one go thru me! lol Pastor Rich you are really coming out of the shell that you've been in! Something must have happened to you to cause you to really go here! Can I thank anyone? I mean someone pissed you off or did something but THIS IS GREAT! :) I have never enjoyed reading Real Lyfe as much as I'm enjoying now!
SM

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog man...I went and purchased TI and yes, it's the bomb! He takes real life situations and puts them to music. I mean, when it all boils down, just because he doesn't sing to God does that make him a bad person? Not all of us have jobs where we are in the church everyday sitting before the altar! It's time for us to come up with some real "hands-on" standards for living...not just this crap that most preachers and saints pontificate about! To me from what I read in the word of God it's about RELATIONSHIP. Does anyone know anything about that right there? Keep up the good work Pastor Rich I can't wait til next week to see what else God gives you to write about!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN

-Khrys

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this is exactly what the game's been missing! If more preachers could ever just keep it real and treal, they would see and discover why some pastors flourish! They would see more fruit from their labor! Thanks Pastor Rich, splendid blog...simply splendid! I can't tell you how much Keep it Real and Treal means to me. I'm sending this to a few of my friends right now!

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich, Rich, RICH....I LOVE IT!!!!
I am soooo tired of clergy walking around acting like all they listen to is the Rance Allen Trio. I have been questioned by parents because how can I be a minister and allow their sons that I mentor to listen to rap when they are with me. Gimme a break, how can we be effective to the youth of today if we don't understand their dialect. I personally LOVE hip-hop but it's called knowing when enough is enough...that is what we need to teach the young people...boundaries and balance, because if they don't have that then they are destined to go crazy.
Keep it up bruh,
Your brother Donta' in Cali!!!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS SO OFF THE HOOK! DUDE, YOU ARE TOTALLY OFF THE CHAIN! FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS YOU'VE BEEN COMPLETEY COMING OUT OF A TOTALLY DIFFERENT BOX AND I APPRECIATE THAT! YOU'RE LEVELING THE PLAYING FIELD WHILE AT THE SAME TIME KEEPING A STANDARD. YOU HAVEN'T SAID GO OUT AND GET YO DRINK ON AND HAVE SEX BUT YOU HAVE CHANGED UP THE NORM BY SAYING...DON'T BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE AND DAMN TO HELL LIKE MOST PREACHERS AND THE REST OF THE SAINTS FALL BACK ON WHEN SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE HOLY! RICH, YOU CONTINUE TO SHOW US, THE WORLD, YOUR WEAKNESSES AND FRAILTIES, AND I APPRECIATE THAT BECAUSE WE HAVE SO FEW CLERGYMEN WHO ARE WILLING TO GO TO THIS EXTENT! DAMN BRUH, ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT YOU MAKE ME STAY IN THE PRESS! I'M NOT AS BAD OFF AS I THOUGHT! I'M NOT PERFECT BUT I SURE AIN'T WHERE I USED TO BE ON THIS JOURNEY!
YOUR BOY FROM THE ATL,
EJ

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters