Free Web Layouts
Real LYFE: Real Recognizes Real So Who Recognizes You?

Monday, March 20, 2006

Real Recognizes Real So Who Recognizes You?

Have you ever thought to yourself and wondered whether you were real with yourself? I do all the time and do you know who makes sure I keep it real? My young folks! Young people, I don't care who, if they are young, most of them haven't learned the behavioral styles that we continue to adopt in order to cover up what's really going on inside our mind. Young people want reality! Nothing more, nothing less, this is why there is a big draw on reality television shows today. In the 80s we were caught up with Dallas and "Who shot J.R.?" While in the 90's we were rocking to Beverly Hills 90210 before we got caught up in who President Clinton was "doin" in the oval office. And there goes it. America went down a slippery slope and found itself becoming more real than any of us ever thought.

We're approaching 10 years that Tupac has been gone from this life and we just passed Biggie Smalls 9th anniversary and these two are still making money because they were the forerunners of their time when it came to reality talk!!!! If there were two Hip Hop artists who kept it real, there you have it. LOOK NO FURTHER! We, the church, have a long way to go if we're ever going to be a force to be reckoned with. We've got to roll up our sleeves and take off the robes and the facade that we've allowed to overtake us to where we believe our own hype. Now there are a few major pastors in the country who have been able to transcend and go to the same level that Hip Hop artists are at in their presentation and that's because they decided to just be transparent with themselves first, then their congregation. However, we still have a long long way to go!

Real recognizes real. If you keep it real with the youth of today, they'll recognize what you're talking about but if you keep your verbiage all wrapped up in the hereafter, then I'm afraid you're going to go alone without the next generation because they're crying for some real people to stand up and be father's and mothers to them because they don't have anywhere else to go. I know for me, I've been inundated for the past few years because of the draw that I have to my own kids in the church that I serve at. There is very little help because very few people are willing to get real because that takes coming to grips with your past! OUCH! Did I say that?

You see, coming to grips with the past is a lot easier said than done because most of us walk around with so many covered up wounds that it doesn't make any sense. And then we wonder why the generations don't want to be bothered! We've changed the church from a place to get marching orders into a hospital full of sick broke busted and disgusted people. You know the statement, "Misery loves company?" Well this is the church! WE don't want anyone to get healed and rise above their past because then it makes those left behind look like a fool, so we are constantly in this battle week in and week out and our youth don't want to be a part of this charade!

I close by saying, real recognizes real. Youth will gravitate toward you if you know how to be real with yourself because being real with yourself is a strength and at the end of the day that's what everybody wants, to be with someone who is strong and powerful! Peace out for now...And remember, REAL RECOGNIZES REAL so ask yourself, "Who recognizes you?"
Now that's straight up talk!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question! Now this is something to really think about. For me, I'm guilty of telling you what I want them to hear instead of the truth. The way things really do or did go down back in the day. I guess I'm ashamed of my yesterday but in order for me to be a true conduit of love and acceptance I do have to come to terms with my past. Thanks for writing this. I hope others really read today's blog and let the words permeate into their soul.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is oh so real. Especially becuase you also have to be willing to say - and I am still coming to grips with me. Your past is as soon as your yesterday and instead of waking up trying to figure out which face to put on, how many to carry with you in case you have to change it. Being real is an overall change within yourself and you are correct, the young people seem to magnetize to you for it. I often think it is time to walk away from the youth ministry but to be honest - they are the Reality of my today, they keep me looking within and asking questions and seeking answers. No sooner than I have come to grips with a situation, here comes a young person asking about something along that same line. People have got to stop acting as if they just jumped to the age they are now. I look at what my sons are going through right now and I can only reflect on me where I was at that point and what I screamed inside. I can't do what makes me feel right as a mother, but surrender to who I now know is in total control and actually show that I trust Him. Out of it I believe that they will see, yeah there are going to be times that you have to trust Him. I am coming to know that that is all the times but you can't act as if you always knew that or abided by it. I appreciate them not wanting to pick up any masks even the ones we sometimes try to hand to them. Our spiritual mirror tells us exactly who we are and until we can look in it and see who we are don't expect anyone else to. Reality is REAL-EYE-TO-YOU!!!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so true. I work with youth on a day to day basis and what I say means nothing if it's artifical. You are correct in speaking of reality. We must keep it real with youth, and even transparent to a certain extent. Good blog.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to me there is no extent. Real is real! Now I'm not for nasty but you can use tact in being real but I find that most leaders, especially in church, are afraid to be real. Pastors are more concerned about the offering going down! lol

10:40 AM  
Blogger Pastor Rich said...

We can keep the facade and run the risk of losing even more of our kids but I'm committed to rescuing as many as I can! That's me! Keep it real and real will recognize you!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It don't get no better than this right here. i say this because until we as a people look within ourselves and say the only way i can be is true then we recycle this burden that has hounded us since the beginning. Realness is what its going to be. you either are or not str8 up and down no ifs, ands, or but's about it. the way i feel now about they young generations is this we need the church to come REAL if you can't or feel like you to "Sanctified" and to "Seasoned" in your old ways then hey do you!! but don't look surprised when you're the only 1 left in the pews of the sanctuary all dusty and unable to tap into the new thang that GOD is doing!! okay!!! thank you Popps "keep it coming"

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is real talk because before you can be real with anyone else you have to keep it real with yourself first and that is the beginning stage of real recognizing real. This is the problem within many institiutions not just church, that the individuals within the institutions do not know how to keep it real with themselves. I am now coming to grips and accepting my flaws and imperfect qualities about myself, this is the hardest thing I had to face was myself. I thank GOD for it though because it is part of my healing process.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEING REAL IS SO COMPLEX, THERE IS A THIN LINE BETWEEN SAYING TO MUCH AND KEEPING IT TO REAL AND ON THE OTHER END NOT KEEPING IT REAL ENOUGH. WALKING THAT LINE W/YOUTH IS A TRIAL AND ERROR PROCESS. ON A DEEPER END TAKE IT BACK TO REALITY PLEASE. REALITY IN THE CHURCH IS WE NEED MORE PASTORS STAYING W/THE WORD AND STRAING FROM THE ORTHODOX RELIGIOUS BELIEFS MANY OF US HAVE THAT ARE NOT BIBLICAL BASE. FOR EXAMPLE COMMUNION IS MORE LIKE A RITUAL IN THE CHURCH WE DO IT EVERY SUNDAY AS IF IT IS WRITTEN TO DO SO. ONE OF THE TRUE PROBLEMS IN THE CHURCH RAISING OUR CHILDREN IS THE FACT THE CHURCH IS NOT STAYING REAL WITH THE WORD AND THE WORD IS THE BREATH OF LIFE. IF ADULTS POTRAY A FALSE IMAGE IN GOD THAT LEAVES THE CHILDREN BELIEVING THAT ITS OKAY TO FOLLOW A FALSE IMAGE IN ENTERTAINMENT. THE REASON FOR OUR YOUNG WOMEN THINKING THEY HAVE TO HAVE WEAVE, WEIGH 110 LBS, HAVE FAKE BREAST, ECT. AND OUR YOUNG MEN THINKING THEY HAVE TO BE TOUGH AND THUGS ABOVE OTHER THINGS. REALITY IS AND REAL RECOGNIZE REAL. THE WORD IS REAL OUR IMAGE AND STAND IS CHRIST IS OFF SO THEREFORE OUR CHILDREN SUFFER FROM OUR MISTAKES. JUST A THOUGHT WHAT DO YOU THINK PASTOR RICH?

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters