Free Web Layouts
Real LYFE: Born to Rebel

Monday, June 05, 2006

Born to Rebel

There are some situations in life where you have to realize that you are called to start something new. The old way was good for it's time but now, today, is a new day. Rejoice and know that you are fearfully and wonderfully made! You are an original and you need to understand that. You may not fit in to the status quo and that's quite alright. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to "get with the program!" Some programs were designed without you in mind, so it's okay to start something that fits with where you are.
You may be like me, for a long time I felt as if I was a round peg trying to fit into a square hole. I just felt like the odd man out and without realizing it, I distanced myself from everyone around me. Instead of embracing my differences, I entertained thoughts of suicide and alienation because I didn't know how to communicate what was going on in my mind! But thanks be to God I didn't remain in that "rut," I, instead, decided to be proactive rather than inactive and be the catalyst for change! I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and that right there made all the difference in the world!
When someone tells me I'm rebellious now, I receive it differently from the way I used to. I now look at it from a different perspective which allows me to process it in it's totality. The late Dr. Benjamin Elijah Mays, a great philosopher of his time and a former president of Morehouse College, wrote a book titled, "Born to Rebel" in which he discusses his upbringing and how he fought against the system of his day. He didn't take the brunt of racism the way he was supposed to take it. He wasn't supposed to get an education but he attained his PhD. He wasn't supposed to rise to the ranks to become an advisor to the United States President, but he did it anyway. He wasn't supposed to produce leaders but became a mentor to one of the greatest African Americans whom we now honor with a holiday, none other than the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
You see, the point is this, if you allow others to control your thinking they will, in turn, control your actions! Realize and understand this one thing, you were born for a purpose that may not fit within the confines of the parameters people place you in. So, don't let it stop you and don't be disrespectful, but with everything in you understand and accept the fact that you were born for greater. Understand and know that it's not just about you but about the generations connected to your every decision. So, with that said, the next time someone tells you that you are fighting against the "system," look at it the way I do and just say, "I was born to rebel" and be apart of something new!
Now that's straight up talk!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there are two words that describe you I would have to say, CONSISTENT and RELEVANT!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the lord someone has said it! Wisdom is acquired by experience, not just by age!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked this one for some reason. It has resonated in my spirit all day!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters