Free Web Layouts
Real LYFE: What Now?

Monday, April 17, 2006

What Now?

The church was bursting at the “seams” as people walked passed the casket that held someone rather special inside. It was as if everything was a figment of my imagination. The church, in some views, was way too small for this fallen soldier; however, it was too late for any last minute changes. The deal was done…the way was made and now it was time to pay final respects to a true soldier!
What is the best way to remember someone? Depends on who you ask…some would say “get a tattoo of their name on your shoulder or chest!” Another would say, “create a shrine somewhere-anywhere with their picture and…” while yet another would say, “the best way to remember is to serve,” or in other words, "DO WHAT THEY DID!"
This is how I choose to best remember my brother, the late Byron D. Freeman, through my service to mankind. Byron, while he walked this earth, was forever pouring into others. He never sought out any personal gratification, but his heart was with youth. Some would say, “why are you still writing about him, why don’t you just move on…the funeral is over…” I would expect that from some people because this is how we are in America. We grieve until the casket is lowered into the ground and then we go on with “business as usual” as if the person never lived. Well, that’s not me! I will never forget what my brother represented in the midst of everything he was going through because he always found time to mentor and look after young people.
We could all stand to take some lessons as we go on with our lives…but I challenge each and every one of you out there to make life count! No matter what it is you do for a living, remember you don’t make a life on what you make, you make your life on what you give. Think about that today and remember to give in the community. Remember that it’s not all about the money you bring in but it’s about the wealth of knowledge that you’re able to pour into the others who are coming behind you in the race of life.
Yes, I’ll miss my brother physically, but he’s with me in spirit and, at the end of the day, that’s what’s most important! We’ve all lost special people on this road called life and it’s important that we not let their deaths become minute but remember the “essence” of what they represented during their time here on earth!
For me, I don’t care about the trials and tribulations that are set up for me down the road because come what may, it’s important that I live life to the fullest which, to me, means helping those less fortunate. That’s what I mean when I say, “what now?” because life is scheduled and does not stop! The bottom line is that it mattered that Byron lived, but the question is, will someone be able to say the same for you?
Now that’s straight up talk…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a good one. Especially after something so thought provoking occurs! I was thinking the exact same thing this past weekend seeing everyone who flew in around the country. It truly makes one think...now what? Do we go on with life as business as usual or do we make each day count! NO MATTER WHAT! Hmmm???? Thanks

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly appreciate your candidness with your personal experiences. You have truly helped me process things in my life that I have taken for granted. You really make me think!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters