Free Web Layouts
Real LYFE: F.E.A.R.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

F.E.A.R.

For those of you who don't know me, I am an avid reader. I'm always reading something positive and informative in order to be able to join the conversations that are taking place in the community and in the world. I'm in the process of reading the book written by Hill Harper, "Letters to a Young Brother," in which he writes about the issue that holds many of us hostage today - FEAR!
This particular chapter grabbed me because I realized that even I, with all that I have accomplished, still battle with this deadly poison called fear. Why would I call this a deadly poison? I call it such because fear, when embraced, becomes an agent that works to paralyze you from doing what it is you are destined to do. Or, another way of looking at it, it causes you to think, when inhaled into your being, that you are inadequate in and of yourself. Fear will drive you to worry which can lead to sickness or even worse, death. And I've come to realize that there are many who are living physically, but spiritually or mentally dead because of fear!
It was amazing as I continued to read that I was dealing with a few issues that I thought I had overcome. I didn't even want to write this but one way of getting over fear is confrontation and this is something I do on a continual basis in order to never be locked into YESTERDAY. I made a declaration last night that I wouldn't allow my fears or insecurities to hinder what I know God has placed within me. So, today, I'm pushing forward for the prize that is ahead of me no matter what the outcome may bring.
I just recently decided to publish a book that I wrote well over a year ago and the reason I'm just now doing so is because I was afraid! I was afraid of what people might say and I was afraid of what people might think. I was afraid of being laughed at...I could keep going on and on and on. But the fear of what if kept me from proceeding forward and the outcome has been NOTHING! What have I been waiting on? Perfect conditions? If that's the case, then I'll be waiting for the rest of my life because conditions will never be perfect. So, now it's time to move forward and maybe no one will publish the book but I will never know if I am too afraid to step out and do what I have never done before. I could keep on making excuses for why I can't but at the end of the day God is going to come to me and ask me what I did with the gifts he blessed me with.
In Hill Harper's book, he describes fear as "False Evidence Appearing Real." It's amazing that you and me have allowed false evidence that appeared real to keep us from reaching our destinies! Many of us have been walking around dead spiritually because of our misconstrued perception and the real question is, how many people are suffering because of the fear that has imprisoned us? I can only answer for me but after today, I'm done with fighting this toxic poison called fear.
"There are three kinds of people in life, those who make things happen; those who wait for things to happen; and those who sit and wonder what happened." Now which one are you?
Now that's real talk...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a word! And so timely! It's amazing how God uses other people to remind us of the things that He's already told us a thousand times. It's even more interesting when we tell other people these very same things, but it takes us so long to absorb our good advice into our own spirits.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I decided to reach out to a very high powered, African-American entertainment lawyer here in New York City, moreso to get his advice and perhaps some direction, because he is where I aspire to go in my career. It was a total shot in the dark because he doesnt know me - equivalent to one reaching out to Donald Trump. As a result of my just deciding to try, he offered me an internship and I know am an intern with the extremely high powered entertainment attorney. Fear of rejection could have kept me from this place of destiny, but I believed the impossible, and IT came to ME! Ive applied this word B. Its all true. So my mantra now is, "DAMN FEAR"!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In life this seems to keep everyone paralyzed. But it's important that we realize and come to grips that we are overcomers if we say we are. If we say we are, then IT IS WHAT IT IS! I had to change my entire crowd in order to deal with this issue and believe me, I'm the better for it!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters