Free Web Layouts
Real LYFE: To Text Message or NOT To Text Message...THAT'S THE QUESTION

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

To Text Message or NOT To Text Message...THAT'S THE QUESTION

I’ve been discussing for the past month or so different ways to communicate with the next generation of young people that are coming up and one of the easiest ways that I’ve learned to talk with them is through the cell-phone. I received some flack from the “old guard” this past weekend because I chose to send a text message to a few of my young folks who were cuttin’ up rather than get up in the midst of service and distract people. I mean, WOW! It’s amazing when you look at how things have changed and how archaic we still try to make things…when, in actuality, if we ever took the time to think smarter instead of work harder, we’d probably get a better response from our children.
One thing I’ve learned from this up and coming generation is this…YOU’VE GOT JUST A FEW MINUTES TO GET THEIR ATTENTION! If you’re successful, you’ve got them…if not just the opposite will occur! This isn’t a slight on anyone from the old guard who would rather use the old way of walking across the church to pull “little Timmy” or “little Jenny” out of service, but when you understand young people and how they operate, I choose to use the energy that I would expend walking across the church in a much more valuable way that’s all!
Some folks would say that it simply doesn't look good to be text messaging in service, CELL PHONES SHOULD BE TURNED OFF! This sounds good but it isn't realistic in the society we are living in today! You try to tell young people to turn off their cell phones and they'll look at you like you're crazy! My response is and has been, I do what it takes to reach the young folks with the least amount of attention because embarrassing them is something I don't want to do. I know the old school doesn't mind "snatching" them out, but we are in a day when young people don't have much respect for elders...whether in church or not! We have to remember that certain things are not taught in the home any more the way they were a few years back!!!!!
Anyway, it’s interesting as we look at the way the “old” school did things vs. the way that the “new” school is doing stuff, we see a dichotomy of sorts that tends to break the scale in ways beyond measure! This is the day of thinking smarter and not working harder! This is the day where you can microwave your food and have it ready in about 5 minutes rather than spend an hour preparing it in the stove/oven. This is the age where fast food is the name of the game…so why should anything else be different!
The old school needs to take some time to learn about how the new school is operating…it’s NOT THE OBLIGATION OF THE NEW SCHOOL TO SHARE WITHOUT the old school asking! Some old timers think just the opposite and feel as if the new school is supposed to run behind them and give them a book to read so they understand! NOT SO! Old timers will only understand the new school by learning to spend time with them, not by reading an article in the paper or the latest book by Tavis Smiley. It’s going to take the old school realizing that they have to take the first step…then and only then will the new school learn to appreciate and see that there are some things from the old school worth holding on to!
Now that’s straight up talk!!!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just saying the same thing to my pastor the other day...a new day requires a new way of operating! It completely requires you to throw away the old mentality...and it forces you to lean on the Lord for guidance. As a youth pastor myself, I find that most resistance comes from those deeply entrenched in the old way. They'll die before letting that go! Oh well, call the funeral homes because it's a new day...thanks man you confirmed what I've been saying. I appreciate it.
AD

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with what u said and the other comment...today we have to do things that make sense and not be worried about what "old" heads may be offended over something so stupid! I, for one, keep my cell phone on because that's how I talk to my kids in church...because if I get up, then it's on! So, I'm with you Pastor Rich...you do what you do and don't be worried about the old heads...shoot! In a minute there won't be any new heads in church if the old mentality doesn't change. This is the age of technology and although I'm not one for using cell phones in church, I am one for communicating in a way that is the least bit distracting! Thanks this was a good one...

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Rich, in the words of Bishop Long, our spiritual father, you didn't come to take sides, you came to take over! Take over doc! You came to create friction and upset things so you are just doing what you were sent to do!!!! lol TAKE OVER and uproot the mindset that is destroying our young people across this nation!
CS

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. It almost pained me to read todays blog in that, I can literally feel your frustration via your words. And I concur man. I can only offer you some sense of encouragement and say, keep reaching. Hell, keep Texting. lol - Someone has to, even when most wont...Thanks again for believing in these dry bones man. I guess they really can live huh?...

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your blog article today!!! I really believe that, the entire editorial. Let me tell you, this past Sunday the Children's church had their program and the Children's church Pastor had the nerve to have the children come in rocking to the beat of "Wait til I show you this, you will never get enough of this" and Bishop nor his Pastoral Assistant who is a very good friend of mine had any clue that the children were rocking to a secular RAPPER'S beats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't play the words but because the beat is so slammin they came in off of it and the head of the church DID NOT know it was a serious issue with the beat because HE WAS UNFAMILIAR with it. Isn't that just like the devil? To get you where you have not a clue! I walked up to him and his assistant and asked them if they knew and they were dumb founded. I told them what it was as people begin to run over to say Bishop do you hear this?

People like us Pastor Rich must stay in touch with the music and the videos, etc because some people are so UNBALANCED which is allowing our youth to be kidnapped right in front of us by the big bad wolf who comes in disguise.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from the old school and proud of it. I do agree that we have to change the way we do some things when dealing with the youth as well as our worship service. However, I feel text messaging during worship service is disrespectful to God and the man of God in charge. God has set standards for us and if you are so busy(focus)on text messaging what are you coming to worship service for. Everyone's cell phone should be off during worship service. I mean everyone.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad somebody else is from the old school cuz I sure am myself. As a Bishop of a church, I don't find it offensive to hear that text messaging is going on...it's reality. Parents obviously aren't on post and if kids are text messaging then adults need to take the walkie talkies and other gadgets that they use to pontificate the church business and do away with them. It creates a bunch of confusion to outsiders who visit. I don't allow my security staff to use walkie talkies but they use earpieces to talk to one another. I understand as a pastor that phones are a way and means of communication. Although I'm from the old school and even tho I know very well that cell phones should be off, I'm not going to be a fool and think for one minute that our young people are going to follow suit. It's a sign of the times that, unless parents do their job, not much will be done. I do applaud you though because it is rough being a youth pastor and trying to find ways to reach our kids. The old guard really is out of touch. I tell my deacons all the time that they don't have a clue. The only reason why I have a inkling of a clue is because I have teenage children...well the struggle continues. I'm praying for you! You keep doing what God told you to do son.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Pastor Rich said...

I sure hope that as you are reading the comments that you are able to see how far apart the civil rights generation (old guard) and the hip hop generation (new guard) are. There is a lot of work that needs to be done in order to bridge the gap of understanding...the comments are valuable and are very much appreciated. I may not agree with everything you say, everyone has a right to their own opinion.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm old school too but I have to admit that texting in church isn't all that bad it just depends on what purpose it's being done for. If you're communicating with someone in church...regarding something that needs to be done, what's the difference from texting and using the earpieces? It's the same difference, you know how those folks that want to be robocops do? They spend their entire time talking about whatever in the midst of service so if someone who is in authority is using this to get young folks in-line I say do it! shoot, otherwise we run the risk of losing more kids because most of these kids today will cuss you out in church. I AIN'T SAYIN NOTHIN TO THEM because if a child goes off on me, CHURCH IS OVER! :) So, B.Real, u do u...I just turned 64 and I'm proud of what I've lived through but I must say that we need more youth pastors out here doing what you do. I take my hat off to you son because I couldn't do it!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am eighteen years old so I am from the new school and I do agree that the pastors and church need to reach out to the youth by doing things that they relate with and are familiar with.I do believe that this is a very dangerous line to cross though. Since so many of the things that the youth are familiar with are things that are not of God, the devil can use this as an opportunity to show his self. I don't think that it is bad to text children in church to get them to behave. I do not think that it is a distraction either. But if the rules that have been set are to not text in church or turn the phone off then that's what should be followed unless the rules change. It may be a rule that is "old school" but it still is the rule. It can also be confusing to a child when his youth pastor is breaking the rules EVEN if it is with a good purpose. I think that there are many things that need to change in the church so that the youth would better receive things but there is a system and process that must be followed to do so. It may be hard to do especially with a "old guard" who is old school but as christians we must always do things in a way that is pleasing to God. I don't think that God wants people to disobey rules in His church. I think that it can be discouraging when people don't agree with the way you want things done especially if you really believe that your ideas are correct. But as a Christian you must fight to get things fixed in a christian way, which is not by disobeying the rules of God's church. God is a God of order.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters